A child at this age should have well-developed speech, language and communication skills. If they are finding language difficult, you might notice that they:
- Find it hard to learn and understand the meanings of words.
- Find it hard to understand language about things in the past or future.
- Struggle to understand phrases that can mean more than one thing, such as “pull your socks up”.
- Respond to just part of an instruction, usually the beginning or end.
- Use short sentences, often with words missing or in the wrong order.
- Find it hard to make up stories. This shows in written work as well as talking.
- Are not learning at school, but nobody can explain why.
- Are struggling to make and keep friends.